It's true that the 4Th of July was about a month ago now, but I really do enjoy the holiday and want to share my good times from that weekend!
Every year for the last 50 years my family has gone on a camp out during the week of the 4Th of July. It is a very special time of the year for me because it is the only time that I get to see my whole family.
As I grow older I realize more and more each day how much I love my family, and how much I would rather spend time with them than be anywhere else. There are some people in my family that are getting in their advanced years and it makes me sad knowing that I won't have a lot of years left to spend time with them, and I have truly learned to cherish every moment.
This is me trying out my parents new toy for the first time! I didn't really think that they would buy a 4-wheeler, but here it is!
My brother and I went for a long ride up Log Canyon, and on the way we found this log that had fallen over & decided to climb up it. Please notice my wonderful 4-wheeling/hiking shoes.
My dad's cousin Mark (the one pictured below in the military hat) is a veteran of the Air Force and started hosting flag retirement ceremonies every year over our annual 4Th of July Camp out. They are a really amazing experience. If you not have been to one, look for one online, you can usually find them being done at local military bases. They really make me grateful for those who have served so that the flag can fly freely in our country.
This year he started out by having us all stand and say the "Pledge of Allegiance." I am really grateful he did that. I honestly can't remember the last time I've said it since junior high.
Following the recital he had a family member read the following story. You may have heard it before, but I think it is one that needs to be shared more often:
Hello, Remember me?
Some people call me "Old Glory"
Others call me the "Star Spangled Banner"
But whatever they call me, I am your Flag,
The Flag of the United States of America....
I remember some time ago people lined up on both sides of the street to watch a parade, and naturally I was leading every parade, proudly waving in the breeze. When your Daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat and placed it against his left shoulder, so that his hand was directly over his heart...Remember?
And you, I remember you. Standing there straight as a soldier. You didn't have a hat, but you were giving the right salute. Remember little sister? Not to be outdone, she was saluting the same as you, with her hand over her heart.... Remember?
What happened? I'm still the same old flag. Oh, I have a few more stars now and a lot more blood has been shed since those days long ago. But now I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down the street you just stand there with your hands in your pockets, and I may get a small glance, but then you look away.
Then I see children running around and shouting; they don't seem to know who I am.... I saw one man take off his hat, then he looked around and saw no one else with their hat off, so he quickly put his hat back on.
Is it a sin to be patriotic now? Have you forgotten what I stand for? And where I've been? Anzio....Normandy... Guadal Canal....Iwo Jima.....Korea..... Vietnam.... and the Persian Gulf?
Take a look at the Memorial Honor Rolls sometime. Note the names of those who never came back; they died to keep this republic free... One Nation Under God!
When you salute me... you are actually saluting them.
Well, it won't be long now until I'll be coming down your street again....So when you see me, stand straight, place you right hand over you heart, and I'll salute you by waiving back.... and I'll know....
YOU REMEMBERED.

Following the story he had all of the veterans in my family and one who is serving now come up to cut up the flag. "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United State of America; The Flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."
My Great Uncle Douglas (below-right) was the oldest member there & he was asked to cut out the field of blue.
After the field of blue was cut out he had each person take turns cutting apart the stripes. My Uncle Kent is pictured to the left and my Grandpa Lamb is on the right.

When the flag was all separated all of the veterans carried the Field of Blue down to be burned.


After the field of blue was taken down he had the oldest family member and the youngest family member carry down the first red stripe and then had other family members that were present taking turns carrying down stripes to the fire.



After the field of blue was taken down he had the oldest family member and the youngest family member carry down the first red stripe and then had other family members that were present taking turns carrying down stripes to the fire.
The entire Flag Retirement Ceremony is done with the audience remaining in complete silence. While the stripes are being taken down one by one the following is read aloud by the host:
FIRST STRIPE: The 13 stripes stand for the thirteen original colonies which are; Massachusetts, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and New Jersey.
SECOND STRIPE: The white stands for purity.
THIRD STRIPE: The red stands for courage.
FOURTH STRIPE: "Give me liberty or give me death".
FIFTH STRIPE: "One if by land, two if the sea".
SIXTH STRIPE: We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America.
SEVENTH STRIPE: We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal. They are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights. Among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
EIGHTH STRIPE: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
NINTH STRIPE: Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or press.
TENTH STRIPE: "Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth to this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." ELEVENTH STRIPE: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
TWELFTH STRIPE: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."
THIRTEENTH STRIPE: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
After the first flag has been burned any remaining flags can be burned whole with the first one standing as a symbol for the rest. When burning the whole flag the stripes are always put in first followed by the field of blue.The ceremony this year I added to an already deep respect and reverence I have for those who have served, or who are serving this, the United States of America.. The GREATEST country in the world! I had a very hard time keeping in the tears when my Grandpa and his brothers were saluting the flag during the Pledge of Allegiance as well as participating in the rest of the ceremony. I am so very very grateful for those who have been willing to put aside their lives to serve our country. It means more to me than they will ever know. Thank-You, Thank-You, Thank-you!!
I had to leave to get back to the city for church the next day, but on my way out I did snap a quick picture of our "Indiana Jones" bridge! I am never fully sure if I want to cross is or not for fear that I might fall through...
I was able to catch the Magna Fireworks show that night with my friend Brian. The fireworks I love the most are the giant ones that make a huge boom that you can feel! I love the power that comes from them. The show was great!... minus the fact that I got eaten alive by mosquitoes.... but I'm sweet, what can I say?!




1 comments:
Wow, Stef, that's really cool!! I've never heard of the flag burning and what it represents. That's really neat! Thanks!
Post a Comment