This weekend Jenn somehow conned me in to going on a hike with her. For some reason hiking is not really my favorite thing & she had to beg & plead to get me to go with her. The picture above is a shot of the cave we hiked to. (Sorry, it's kind of hard to see) The cave is located on the mountain in between Magna and LakePoint. I had never really noticed the cave, but Jenn had been there before and used to ride 4-wheelers up to it.
I definitely think that it's safe to say that I was not the least bit thrilled to be going, nevermind the fact that it was raining! I even said a little prayer asking for it to rain so hard that it would make Jenn not want to go... unfortunately the rain didn't deter her in the least and she was even trying to get me excited about the rain! 
Now this is what I call hilarious! Jenn packed basically everything for the trip since she knew I wasn't excited about going... well for our "raincoats" she brought garbage bags.... well she got stuck in hers!hahaha. I was laughing so hard that I could barely help her get un-stuck.
This is us preparing to go... garbage bags & everything!
This is the very first "hill" of the trip... it was really muddy & I slipped up the hill! I am pretty amazing though because I didn't actually fall down & only my hands got muddy!
While we were hiking we saw about 5-6 trains go by! Jenn and I LOVE trains and have been known to go train chasing. We would get excited any time we saw one go by. We even have train flattened pennies as momentos of our hike!
This is the view from the bottom of the hill that goes to the cave. It took us about 3-4 hours of climbing and scaling a few rock slides to get to this point. Jenn said that Cougars live in the mountains where we were hiking & we both got a bit worried about encountering one in the cave. Jenn called her dad to ask if cougars live in caves & he said that they are smart animals & probably got out of the rain unlike us girls that think it's a good idea to be out in it. After he wasn't much assurance Jenn got freaked out and wanted me to hike up the cave & go in it first to see if there were any cougars. She said that she can't die because she has kids. I was maybe a little nervous, but I didn't think we had TOO much to worry about. I told Jenn that if I went in there first & got eaten alive by a cougar she had to promise to sing "Wind Beneath My Wings" a capella at my funeral. I don't actually like that song a whole lot, but I knew that I would be rolling around in my coffin laughing if she actually did it. So Jenn... you're lucky that I didn't die or you'd be practicing for your solo right now!
I made my ascent up to the cave & there were definitely no cougars! Not even a bat, or a bug. It was all clear.... except for the Orbs. (Def. a spherical body ; especially : a spherical celestial object) Now some people say that orbs are ghosts per say, some say they are just light reflecting, or dust or whatever... but regardless there were tons of them in the picture I took when I first got to the cave. There were Orbs in almost every picture that we took, but they weren't always in the same position, & weren't there again later when I took a shot of the same place in the cave. You can't see Orbs, but they show up in your pictures, I think they are really fascinating.
This is a view from the inside of the cave looking out. If you look down toward the lake on the left side of the picture the small looking rock is actually "Black Rock" that is off of I-80.
Now this is what you get when you have a timer on your camera!
Oh the joys of hiking...
We stopped for lunch a while after leaving the cave. I was absolutely starving so I am not sure why Jenn doesn't look so excited for her lunch. I had a PB&J!
So funny story. On the way back from the cave we started hiking down and were going at a pretty fast pace. There is a section of the trail that has a lot of switchbacks & they really aren't too far from the cave. After a while we started wondering how much longer it was going to take to get to them because it seemed like we had been walking forever! Well after another minute or two we saw LakePoint right below us, which means that we completely missed the trail! Neither of us wanted to turn back because we had skipped a huge distance of the hike & didn't want to double what we had just done, so instead we decided to climb down the face of the mountain to get back on the trail. The picture above is about 1/3 of the way down....
This pic is taken from the trail looking up to the top of the mountain that we climbed down. It maybe wasn't the easiest way down but it was much faster!
These are some pictures of the view that we had on the way down. We had some really great views at different parts of the hike. The Great Salt Lake actually looks pretty cool when you're above it looking down.
View of Lake Point.
While we were in the cave I decided to ditch the garbage bag because it was pretty constricting & the arms of my hoodie were soaked anyway. The rain was good because it kept the bugs away, but as we were nearing the end of our hike the sun decided to pay us a visit which means the mosquitos came out! I think I got bit about a hundred times from those nasty buggers! I took my hoodie off because it got so hot & I got eaten alive! I don't know why the mosquitos showed up because they weren't even invited!
This is what feet look like after a muddy hike....

And this is 2 happy girls glad to know that we completed our hike & now we get to relax! Although hiking isn't my favorite thing I really did have a blast going with Jenn! It was great to see nature and fun to do something other than "the usual" on the weekend. (Oh Yeah... I also got to see Matthew McConaughey twice this weekend in his new movie "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past," and really, who wouldn't be excited about that?!?



0 comments:
Post a Comment